COHN FINANCIAL GROUP HAS SPECIALIZED PRODUCT, PLANNING AND ACQUISITION EXPERTISE.
We have the specialized know-how to meet your complex insurance needs.
With key staff that has over 100 years of combined experience, Cohn Financial Group has the distinctive expertise for handling the ins-and-outs of private placement life insurance and fully recognizing the accompanying complex tax implications, legal strategies, cost structures, and funding decisions.
The company is led by well-respected industry authority, author and speaker, Mike Cohn, a noted expert on complex life insurance arrangements, including planning applications of private placement life insurance with family offices and law firms. With his Passing the Torch, he "wrote the book" on family ownership transitions, including succession, retirement and estate planning.
You'll especially appreciate our wide range of distinctive talents and abilities.
- We thrive on complexity—In fact, we love to meet your tax, legal, cost and funding challenges. No project is too complex for Cohn Financial Group.
- We understand the workings of large cases—Where most others are intimidated or have no experience in large case life insurance, we are particularly skilled at coordinating the advanced funding strategies often used in large cases. Plus, we can help you and your advisors decide the most effective strategy for funding large insurance premiums without incurring gift tax. This can include split-dollar and loan arrangements, as well as third-party financing strategies. We coordinate the implementation of these sophisticated techniques with your team of attorneys, CPAs and financial advisors.
- We know the map and the pathways of reinsurance—All insurance carriers have limits on the amount of insurance they are able to provide for one policyholder; with each company reinsuring excess amounts when underwriting very large cases. Cohn Financial Group has pioneered a process of bundling internal retention from multiple companies and then strategically allocating reinsurance acquisitions. Our innovative approach is designed to create better results to accommodate the large investment or large life insurance need, while reducing cost and saving time.
- We understand that large case pricing is different—Best institutional pricing is required for the large cases, not retail. Sophisticated buyers and their advisors expect nothing less. As a shareholder and member firm of M Financial Group since 1990, we have access to some of the best products and best pricing—not available to most brokers. For example, M mortality pricing, instead of retail life insurance pricing, provides distinct advantages when assembling a large case. M Financial reinsures part of the risk through M Financial Re, so we work directly with insurance companies when pricing risk.
- We collaborate and co-market with our partners...and our clients—We work with M Financial to obtain access to what we believe are the best products and services from the best possible resources. Plus, we collaborate with our clients to make sure we are carefully meeting (and often exceeding) their expectations and needs.
- We're smart and creative—That's why we don't settle for average when it comes to service or performance. We thoroughly understand estate planning entities and how to work with our client’s T&E (Trust and Estate) attorneys to deliver optimal solutions.
- We reinvest in our people and technology—So you can count on painstaking and methodical attention to the intricate workings of your estate planning and up-to-date reporting on the performance of your accounts.
- We have a genuine depth of product knowledge—Cohn Financial Group has a rich and deep bench of internal resources and can also tap into those of M Financial and its partners.
- We deliver an incredible level of client education through scenario modeling—To help make sure you understand your estate planning possibilities, we'll go through multiple “what if” scenarios.
- Above all, we are patient—We know the entire process inside-out, and we understand decision making with complex transactions takes careful, systematic and thorough consideration.
Plus, we have a full suite of proprietary products to meet your needs.
Our affiliation with M Financial allows us to offer not only private placement life insurance and annuities, but also other proprietary life insurance products, with survivorship versions of each, through the various M Financial insurance carriers, including a wide range of:
- Universal Life (UL)—For those concerned about inflation and declining interest rates, this policy type has a lower level of volatility (or risk) along with a more modest level of growth potential (or cash accumulation). It comes with a declared interest rate based on the strength of each carriers’ general account assets and a guaranteed minimum interest rate and is not subject to market fluctuations.
- Indexed Universal Life (IUL)—When you want a medium level of volatility and a higher level of growth potential with a cap rate (on average 11%). Comes with guaranteed minimum credited interest based on indexed performance, fewer allocation decisions and tax benefits.
- Variable Universal Life (VUL)—Permanent death benefit coverage where the policy owner directs the investment of policy cash values into various investment options called sub-accounts. Variable Universal Life maintains the core characteristics of universal life, but shifts the investment risk and control from the life insurance carrier to the policy holder. The policy potentially allows for greater cash value accumulation but with a significantly higher level of risk than is found with other types of cash value life insurance. Variable Universal Life is a long-term investment, normally suitable for clients with investment experience, a higher level of risk tolerance, and the financial resources to withstand investment fluctuations, including the possible loss of principal.
Our core expertise extends well beyond estate funding, wealth transfer, and reinsurance.
We have also developed core competencies in the following areas:
- Law firms: solutions for partner’s unfunded (non-qualified) retirement obligations, including bankruptcy remote strategies
- Family offices and private trust companies: improving investment return potential on tax-inefficient asset classes
- Middle market companies: improving investment return potential on balance sheet assets to fund key executive retirement plans and/or stock redemption plans
- Grantor trusts: income tax planning
- Foreign citizens subject to estate tax on U.S. assets
- Offshore to onshore via 1035 exchanges with illiquid or hard to value assets in offshore policies
- Offshore transactions: choice of company, frozen cash value or private placement variable life insurance need while reducing cost and saving time